WoF Inspectors Course
This course has been developed for Technicians training to become a NZ Transport Agency authorised Vehicle Inspector or Technicians wishing to regain their authority. It is also useful for business owners and staff involved in the technical self-evaluations of the PRS.
- Overview of the NZ Transport Agency rules and Regulations
- Recording and completion of information on WoF Checksheets
WoF inspection processes
- Responsibilities of a Vehicle Inspector to the NZ Transport Agency Performance Review System (PRS)
- Technical review and guidance to the information contained within the Vehicle Inspection Requirements Manual (VIRM)
- Legal responsibilities of Inspection Organisations and Vehicle Inspectors
For more information in relation to the AVI application process or to obtain an application pack please phone NZTA on 0800 587287 or visit the NZTA website.
Requirements to become a WoF Inspector
You must currently be employed by or sponsored by a business which is authorised to issue WoF's, and be qualified as:
- an automotive technician with either NZ Trade Certificate, National A-Grade Registration, NZ Advanced Trade Certificate or equivalent, or
- an automotive technician with either National Certificate in Automotive Engineering, National Registration or equivalent, and three years recent relevant work experience, or
- a person who has worked in full-time employment carrying out repairs and maintenance to the safety aspects of motor vehicles for at least five continuous years.
(Note: overseas qualifications must be recognized in NZ through NZQA.)
You will also need to supply copies of your Trade Qualifications or Proof of Employment in letter form, signed by a Justice of the Peace or a Notary Public.
It is a legislative requirement that all applicants must hold and supply a full New Zealand Drivers License or an overseas driver licence, with a statement from the issuing country stating that the license is current, the driving classes held and detailing any driving and criminal offences. The future inspector must provide proof of formal training, such as attending an MTA WoF Inspectors course.
Note: This information may change without notice, for up to date information check with NZTA.
Course times and fees
MTA WoF Inspector courses are conducted during the day from 8.15am to 5pm.
- MTA members pay only $240 plus GST.
- Non-members pay $478 plus GST (course fees for non-members must be paid by cheque or credit card, to MTA Offices prior to the course)
Return to the Jobs and Training page and book your course from the calendar