The MTA Today
The MTA is the main automotive industry body in New Zealand, representing over 3,600 businesses that fix, fuel, buy, sell and inspect much of the country’s vehicle fleet.
MTA Inc. is an Incorporated Society, governed by a Board made up of six-member representatives and one independent director.
Our Vision is to be the association automotive businesses want to be part of and relevant organisations aspire to align with.
To achieve this our strategy is to:
- be integrated in our members’ businesses and create a sustainable business advantage for them
- act and be a solutions facilitator for the automotive industry
- provide leadership within our industry.
- lead, set, and maintain industry standards within our membership
- provide leadership on specific issues
- initiate or support technical and professional training
- collaborate on legislation and regulations
- provide services, support, business advice and feedback to members
- promote the brand and the MTA warranty on member services.
The MTA brand is well known and associated with professionalism, good service, and commitment to a fair deal. Our members’ work is backed by the MTA Warranty.
Today we have over 3,600 members working primarily in the following areas:
- general repair
- service station
- parts and accessories
- new vehicle dealer
- used vehicle dealer
- collision repair
- vehicle recovery.
Our members are proud to display the sign identifying them as members and provide a wide range of services throughout the country.
One of the many benefits we provide to members is our advocacy work.
Our advocacy team engages with government and other stakeholders on behalf of members to advance the interests of the industry with respect to Government policy and legislation.
The guiding principles the team apply are:
- NZ has safer cars – especially through better education of motorists about maintaining safe vehicles
- NZ benefits from successful businesses – thriving businesses give back to the community
- Fit-for-purpose regulations – there is a need sometimes for regulation, but they must not stymie business
- Changing automotive industry – change is coming and sometimes faster than we think, we need to be ready.
You can see our most recent submissions here >>
Everyone that serves the MTA, from our Board of Directors to our Category Committees to our members themselves, know the hard work it takes to succeed in the New Zealand Automotive industry. We pride ourselves on being a great bunch who work hard to help MTA serve our members and the wider New Zealand public in the very best way possible.